The new single and music video by Taylor Swift, Love Story. The lyrics and the video of the song is basically based around Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet"

Personally, I have always felt that R&J has been one of Shakespeare's most cruel ironies... the mocking of the concept of love... and playing out the tragedy in more ways than one... I never really agreed that R&J was a love story to begin with...

So, personally I was quite turned off when I noticed that the song was based around R&J. But listening to it a second time.. that's when the song caught my attention and I am thoroughly impressed.

In R&J, Juliet is nearly 14.. and Romeo is only slightly older than her... and although it has been said that folks married really young at that time... the play mocks the youth's understanding of love.. the haste.. and the running away... trying to take fate into their own hands... this is emphasized in the song... the first and last line...

"We were both young when I first saw you"...

In this song... Juliet is portrayed as the impatient one... upon finding her true love... wanting to be with him despite the parent's disapproval.. and even wanting to elope with him... which is a good interpretation of a 14 year old, immature Juliet...

"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone. I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run."

The great part of the song.. is the final verse... and it really impressed me... If someone was to rewrite the play R&J.. and make an appropriate alternative ending.. this would be it... despite being highly unlikely... given the stubbornness of the Lord Capulet and the young Romeo.. but being older than Juliet.. the happy ending, would be one in which he makes the mature choice... which.. unlike eloping.. will make everyone happy...

"Marry me, Juliet - you'll never have to be alone.
I love you and that's all I really know.
I talked to your dad - go pick out a white dress;
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"


Might I also add that I think the her MTVs and dresses are really hot... maybe I just miss the Victorian age.. love the guy's clothes too... the baggy shirt.. and the lovely classy dance... *dreamy* aww....